Added a link to the Facebook Fan Page to the front page of California Highways. I'm using this fan page to post news articles related to highway routing, construction, and history, so it is worth fanning if you are at all interested. If you find an article of interest, please post it or mail it to me.
Made a few link corrections. Note that most of mail regarding the Geocities pages disappeared into the ether, so come October 26, those pages will as well. I did receive two responses. James Schul indicated he hasn't updated Ohio's Version of Route 66 in 10 years and it will disappear with Geocities (no action on my part, yet). Marcel Monterie indicated that his Geocities page (Description of the world's road numbering systems) will be moving, and can be safely referenced with http://www.monterie.com . This should also affect his page on numbering in Brazil. I have updated my link pages appropriately.
Processed backed up email changes, notes from my reading of the papers, as well as updates from misc.transport.road. This resulted in changes on the following routes, with credit as indicated [my research(1), contributions of information or leads (via direct mail or Usenet) from Argatlam_roads(2), Michael Ballard(3), Dominic Ielati(4), Cameron Kaiser(5), Michael Patrick(6), Steve Ruge(7), Chris Thomas(8)]:Route 1(1), Route 2(3), Route 18(5), Route 22(1), Route 23(1), Route 24(2), Route 30(5), Route 99(4), Route 152(6), Route 156(6), Route 160(8), Route 241(1), US 101(1), US 395(5), I-5(2), I-80(1,2), I-205(1), San Diego CR 680(7).
Noted publication of a master list of ARRA projects (Stimulus projects). Most of these projects look to be SHOPP projects (maintenance) -- roadway rehabilitation, new roadbeds, minor safety improvements, drainage. Four of the projects were ones that also showed up in the CTC level list: (1) Route 24 Caldecott Tunnel project (PPNO 0057A): Construct 4th Bore to Caldecott Tunnel; (2) Route 215 High Occupancy Vehicle Lane project Segments 1 and 2 (PPNO 0247P): Add Mix-flow, HOV, and Aux Lanes; (3) Route 405 in Los Angeles County project (PPNO 0851G): Northbound HOV Lane; and (4) Route 905 in San Diego County project (PPNO 0703): Construct 6 Lane Freeway Phase 1B. The CTC is also using ARRA funds for the Doyle Drive reconstruction on Route 101.
Noted what appears to be the earliest findable California Highways post: December 31, 1992. I've been doing this for over 16 years. Wow!
Looked for updates for the legislative information page. Noted the passage of the following:
ACR 30 (Mendoza) Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff David Powell Memorial Highway.
Designates the segment of Route 91 between I-605 and Pioneer Boulevard, in Los Angeles County, as the "Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff David Powell Memorial Highway"
Chaptered 6/9/2009. Resolution Chapter 47.
ACR 34 (Furutani) The Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Maria Cecilia Rosa Memorial Highway.
Designates Route 710 from Wardlow Road to the Pacific Coast Highway in the City of Long Beach as the "Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Maria Cecilia Rosa Memorial Highway"
Chaptered June 9, 2009. Resolution Chapter 48.
Checked the Calnexus page to see if there had been any updates. There weren't any.
Reviewed the May and June CTC Summary and Web Books. I noted the following items for inclusion:
2.1a. Program Amendments/Project Approvals – STIP Amendments for Action
 (7) The Ventura County Transportation Commission (VCTC) and the City of Thousand Oaks propose to amend the 2008 STIP for the Route 101 Los Angeles County Line to Route 23 Improvements Phase 1 project (PPNO 2291) in Ventura County to reprogram $325,000 RIP from R/W Support to PS&E, for a total of $6,520,000 in PS&E.;VCTC also requests approval of this amendment for an AB 3090 reimbursement (PPNO 2291A) and proposes to use local funds to allow PS&E to move forward one year earlier than programmed, with reimbursement in FY 2010-11. WITHDRAWN PRIOR TO CTC MEETING.
 (11) The Department and the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) propose to amend TCRP Project #41.2 – Route 5; add HOV lanes on Golden State Freeway through San Fernando Valley, Route 170 (Hollywood Freeway) to Route 14 (Antelope Valley Freeway) in Los Angeles County to redistribute $6,109,000 from construction to Design and update project funding plan. In addition, the MTA is formally requesting that this TCRP project be moved from Tier 2 to Tier 1 as per the TCRP Allocation Plan as presented September 17, 2008. Approved, with the project moving to Tier 1 of the TCRP Allocation Plan with repayment to be scheduled for FY 2015-16. Bob Naylor, representing LACMTA, indicated that they support CTC staff recommendations.
 (5) The Department and the City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County propose to amend the 2008 STIP to reprogram $1,911,000 RIP PS&E from the Route 101 – Willow Road Interchange Reconstruction project (PPNO 0690A) to the following: $1,000,000 to the San Mateo County Smart Corridors project (PPNO 2140F), and $911,000 to the El Camino Real Interconnect Signals project (PPNO 645C). Approved.
 (11) The Tulare County Association of Governments proposes to amend the 2008 STIP to reprogram $16,020,000 Construction from FY 2009-10 to FY 2010-11 for the Plaza Drive Widening project (PPNO 0105); reprogram $16,020,000 of the $38,300,000 Construction from FY 2010-11 to FY 2009-10 and reduce the scope of the Road 80 Widening Phase 2 – Ave 376 to Ave 416 project (PPNO 6414) from Ave 376 – Ave 416 to Ave 384 – Ave 416; and, split the remaining $22,280,000 Construction for the Road 80 Phase 2 project into the Road 80 Widening Phase 3 – Ave 342 to Ave 384 project (PPNO 6414A) in FY 2010-11. Approved.
2.1b. Program Amendments/Project Approvals – STIP Amendments for Notice
 (11) The Tulare County Association of Governments proposes to amend the 2008 STIP to reprogram $16,020,000 Construction from FY 2009-10 to FY 2010-11 for the Plaza Drive Widening project (PPNO 0105); reprogram $16,020,000 of the $38,300,000 Construction from FY 2010-11 to FY 2009-10 and reduce the scope of the Road 80 Widening Phase 2 – Ave 376 to Ave 416 project (PPNO 6414) from Ave 376 – Ave 416 to Ave 384 – Ave 416; and, split the remaining $22,280,000 Construction for the Road 80 Phase 2 project into the Road 80 Widening Phase 3 – Ave 342 to Ave 384 project (PPNO 6414A) in FY 2010-11. Information only.
2.1c. Traffic Congestion Relief (TCR)Program Application Approvals/Amendments, Proposition 1B CMIA Program/Project Amendments
 (1a) The Department and the Nevada County Transportation Commission (NCTC) propose to amend the CMIA baseline agreement and the 2008 STIP for the Route 49 La Barr Meadows Widening project (PPNO 4107) to shift $500,000 RIP/IIP from R/W Capital to R/W Support and update the project schedule. Approved.
 (1b) The Department proposes to amend the CMIA baseline agreement for the Route 24 Caldecott Tunnel Fourth Bore project in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties to split and reprogram the original CMIA project into four segments, as follows: Segment 1 - construct 2-lane fourth bore (PPNO 0057A); Segment 2 - realign westbound Route 24 to northbound Route 13 Connector (PPNO 0057G); Segment 3 - widen Caldecott Lane at Kay Street Overcrossing and install traffic signal at Broadway and Kay Street intersection (PPNO 0057I); and Segment 4 - establish highway planting (PPNO 0057J). Approved. Mr. Bijan Sartipi, District 4 Director, provided a report to the Commission on the strategies taken to control support costs. Updated information will be provided every six months.
 (1c) The Department, in conjunction with Kings County Association of Governments (KCAG) and Tulare County Association of Governments (TCAG), proposes to amend the CMIA baseline agreement and the 2008 STIP for the Route 198 Expressway project (PPNO A4360B) near Hanford to increase IIP PS&E to $4,105,000, increase IIP R/W Support to $1,600,000, decrease IIP Construction Support to $5,014,000, increase IIP R/W to $5,281,000, and delete IIP Construction and program $4,500,000 IIP for a follow-up landscaping project (PPNO A4360Y). Furthermore, the Department requests a TCRP amendment for TCRP #111 to program $13,147,000 in new TCRP funds for R/W ($5,038,000) and Construction ($8,109,000), and update the project funding plan. Approved.
2.2a. Environmental Matters – Notice of Preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR)
 (2) 04-SCl-17/280/880, PM 13.80/13.94, PM 4.50/6.0, PM 0.00/1.00 Routes 17/280/880 in Santa Clara County. Reconfigure the Route 17/880/Stevens Creek Boulevard Interchange, construct on and off-ramps at the I-280/880 connector, and roadway improvements within the city of San Jose. The Commission had no comments on the alternatives or environmental impacts to be addressed, but staff to send letter to project sponsors recommending that the funding necessary to complete the project be secured.
 (4) 05-SB-101, PM 2.0/12.3 Route 101 in Santa Barbara County. Construct a high occupancy vehicle lane on Route 101 in each direction between Bailard Avenue in the city of Carpinteria, and Milpas Street in the city of Santa Barbara. (PPNO 7101) The Commission had no comments on the alternatives or environmental impacts to be addressed, but staff to send letter to project sponsors recommending that the funding necessary to complete the project be secured.
2.2c. Environmental Matters – Approval of Projects for Future Consideration of Funding, Route Adoption or New Public Road
 (5) 08-Riv-91, PM 13.6/14.5 Route 91 in Riverside County. Replace and widen the Van Buren Boulevard Interchange from four to six lanes, and construct ramp and roadway improvements in the city of Riverside. (PPNO 0084) (MND) Approved.
 (6) 08-SBd-18, PM 66.5/67.1 Route 18 in San Bernardino County. Replace the Cushenberry Creek Bridge on a new alignment, remove the existing bridge, and construct roadway improvements near Lucerne Valley. (PPNO 0188E) (ND) Approved.
 (9) 06-Mad-99, PM 21.03 KM Route 99 in Madera County. Construct new roadway connecting Avenue 16 west of Route 99 to Ellis Street east of Route 99 in the city of Madera.(PPNO 5397) (MND) Approved.
 (13) 07-LA-10/605, PM 31.1/31.3, PM 20.2/20.6 Routes 10 and 605 in Los Angeles County. Replace the existing I-605 to I-10 connector and roadway improvements in the city of Baldwin Park. (MND) (PPNO 3529) Approved.
 (14) 11-SD-15, PM 15.7/16.1 Route 15 in San Diego County. Construct a direct access ramp to connect I-15 to the local street system and transit facilities and roadway improvements in Mira Mesa and Scripps Ranch communities. (FEIR) (PPNO 0672G) The Commission voted to accept the Final EIR, as well as the Findings and Statement of Overriding Consideration, and approved the project for future consideration of funding.
 (15) 11-SD-805, PM 26.5/28.7 Route 805 in San Diego County. Construct a 4-lane extension of Carroll Canyon Road including a high occupancy vehicle lane, direct access ramps, and roadway improvements in the city of San Diego. (MND) (CMIA) (Recovery Act) (PPNO 0716) Approved.
 (16) 12-Ora-91, PM 9.1/15.1 Route 91 in Orange County. Construct one general purpose lane to the existing Route 91 and roadway improvements in the cities of Anaheim and Yorba Linda. (MND) (CMIA) (PPNO 4598A) Approved.
2.3b. New Public Road Connection
 One New Public Road Connection to State Route 99 at 10-SJ-99 PM 17.4 (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) In the county of San Joaquin, south of State Route 4, Crosstown Freeway Interchange. (RTE 99) Approved.
2.3c. Relinquishment Resolutions
 4-Sol-37-PM 8.5, 9.2/10.4 Right of Way along Route 37 (Marine World Parkway) in the city of Vallejo from Sacramento Street to Antioch Drive, consisting of superseded highway right of way, relocated or reconstructed city streets and a bike path. Approved.
 6-Fre-180-PM 53.60/54.58 Right of Way along Route 180 (West Whitesbridge Avenue) from South Brawley Avenue to South Marks Avenue, consisting of superseded highway right of way and collateral facilities..Approved.
 6-Fre-43-PM 5.34 Right of Way along Route 43 on Conejo Avenue, consisting of a reconstructed county road.. Approved.
 3-Pla-49-PM 2.52/3.08 Right of Way on Route 49 in the city of Auburn from Elm Avenue to the southern most onramp to eastbound I-80. This was relinquished under terms and conditions as stated in the relinquishment agreement dated April 14, 2009, determined to be in the best interest of the State. Authorized by Chapter 635, Statutes of 2008, which amended Section 349 of the Streets and Highways Code.. Approved.
 4-SCl-101-PM R35.8 Right of Way along Route 101 in the city of San Jose near Alum Rock Avenue, on N 31st Street, consisting of a relocated or reconstructed city street and an adjoining nonmotorized transportation facility, namely a pedestrian walkway.. Approved.
 7-LA-110-PM 0.0/R0.8 Right of Way along Route 110 (Gaffey Street) in the city of Los Angeles from Ninth Street to 0.1 mile north of West Ofarrel Street. Approved.